Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

It's time for the Yankeechef to add an update on a recent Waffle Wednesday. In the 90s I lived in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana. In many ways the Cajun country of southern Louisiana is my culinary home. I have been thinking about how I could bring the Cajun flavors I love so much to Waffle Wednesday. I remembered that I had some Andouille sausage on hand at The Grind. Thinking about the sausage I thought of one of my favorite dishes: Red Beans and Rice. I made a Brown Rice waffle. I cooked some brown rice and cooled it over night. The next day as I was prepping for lunch service I made a savory waffle batter incorporating the brown rice. For the topping for the waffle I use cooked red beans. I processed about half of the beans in the food processor with some of the cooking liquid to make a smooth puree. I called it a Red Bean Coulis for lack of a better term. To serve the waffle I cooked the batter in a standard waffle iron. As the waffle was cooking I sauteed sliced Andouille, whole red beans, the classic trinity of Cajun cookery (bell peppers, celery, onion), the red bean puree, and seasoned it all with my own blackening spice blend. When the waffle was ready I plated it and topped it with the Andouille and Red Beans. It was well received and seemed to be popular. It will show up again in the Lunch Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment